Friday, May 16, 2008

A Replacement for Me.

Working as a caregiver can be very challenging and having to be off can be very confusing to the person you are caring for.

I have been staying every other week with an 80 year old who is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's for three years now. Her condition has slowly changed to not fully understanding what is going on around her and to becoming very nervous about change.

My life has taken a tremendous change because of my decision to take this job. I don't think I fully realized what I was getting into and I know I had no idea that it would last this long.

The money is very good and my financial condition has changed for the better over the last three years. Now my commitment as a caregiver is surely based on my loyalty to my patient.

About a year ago my youngest grandson was diagnosed with a rare disease called Kawasaiki Disease. No known cause or cure. A very scarey thing. He was 3 years old. I researched the subject as much as possible and tried to not worry and expect the best outcome. This far things have gone fairly good. He had the anti-bodies recommended and all the test done regurlarly. Upper respiritory is a big concern with this and a common cold can turn into pneumonia over night. This has happened twice within the last year. Trips to the Children's Hospital where the most edcuated Doctors are found are not really giving any answers to the problems he is incurring.

It is very hard to not be able to leave for the hospital as soon as I know he is having to return there. I feel as a Mother that I should be there for my grandchild and for my daughter. The last time he was hospitalized it took a day and a half to get a replacement for myself to be able to leave my job. That is when I realized just how hard it is to find a replacement for me.

If you have ever been the sole caregiver for someone with alzehimers you will understand the difficulty of change in that person's life. Sometimes just going out of the house can get them confussed. They forget where they are and they forget where they are going. I suppose later in the process of the disease they forget who they are and will forget who you are and then the process of change will not be so diffulicult on either.

The condition of the person I am careing for is just beginning to reach the point where she feels completely comfortable with me and trust that I can answer any question she may have about the things she can't remember. Any change in our routine can set off a state of confussion that makes her realize she is totally dependant on someone else and does not want to be left alone or with a stranger.

My problem is introducing another person into her life long enough for her to remember them so they can stay when I need to leave for and emergency or for a vacation or break.

I have been blessed with a trusted friend who is willing to take the replacement job. I am just finishing a 5 day training seccesion where we have both stayed here and she has become accuainted with the replacement. I am going home in the morning so I can attend the graduation of my oldest grandson from high school.

One day at a time. We only have a choice as to what we do today. Today I am feeling pretty good about being able to replace me. I will face my next challenge when it occures.

No comments: