Wednesday, April 30, 2008

City Living

The cost of living in the city is unreal. This week has had a few little extra things thrown in for flavor. There was a little thunderstorm that blew through with some wind and broke a limb off a cedar tree in front of the garage. The Tree Surgeon had to be called to remove the limb before we could get the car out of the garage. $300.00. It took 10-15 minutes. I know the equipment was very expensive but that is $1200.00 per hour.

After the storm blew through it brought cooler temperatures in. The furnace, which is brand new, failed to light .....a service call to the Heat &Air company to lite a new furnace that is still under warranty...$69.00. There is no warranty on the cost of fuel for a service call.

The leaves from the trees filled the gutters and allowed the water to back up on the roof causing a leak in the library. Gutter cleaning and repair. Three people, three hours. Cost $541.00. That is about $49.00 per hour, per person. No equipment. They used our water hose and water.

A critter moved into the attic and decided to make enough noise that no one could sleep. Called Pest Control. They came out, brought a live trap put a few pecans and a can of cat food in for bait and said to call them when we catch something. Cost. $189.00. About 30 minutes. It actually took longer to write the invoice than it did to set the trap. They used our ladder. Trap cost $39.95. It is still thiers. Labor to set trap $150.00. That is about $300.00 per hour.

That is a total of $1099.00. We still have not caught the critter. Still don't know where the roof leak is and still have 4 days of this week left.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

wow, Pollye! Kind of makes you think you're in the wrong business, doesn't it? At least it makes me think that way. It also makes me think about the trade off of trying to do things myself as I get older - the cost vs the chance of hurting myself or not doing something properly. All of the above I COULD do, don't know if I'd want to, tho. I have this thing about hiring repairmen, tho. Seems like they charge a lot, and maybe even more because I am a woman. At least it seems that way to me. I hope the weather calms down, the pest is caught, and you can enjoy the rest of your week there.

Pollye said...

you are right. I do these things @ home. Not to the extent I used too.
The Lady I stay with only knows to call someone for everything. It is a good thing she was born into wealth. She doesn't seem to mind paying for services rendered.