Monday, June 23, 2008

The Wonders of Summer

So, I finally found the time to take a few pictures around my environment. Just as I am planning on getting a new camera the old one turned out some good shots.

The beautiful Red Canna ! this is a dwarf variety. I have had these for about 20 years now. Each year they send up new shoots.

The pure white blossom of the Gardenia bush only last a day before it begins to turn yellow. The fragrance lingers on for weeks. Even as a dried flower the smell is wonderful. A summer breeze will spread the fragrance for quite a distance, especially at dusk. I pick a few blooms and float them in water to fill a room with this magic smell.









The pink cone flower grows as a native plant in south east Oklahoma. It is very hardy and multiplies each year. It also has good medical properties and is also known as echinacea.










I caught this little bee going from flower to flower. He certainly was busy today.










One of a million, tiny white blooms that form a dinner plate size flower. It grows from a small tree. I cut it down every year just after the bloom. I have no idea what it is called.



The following picture is looking at the same bloom from the bottom.



The awesome beauty of nature captivates me.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Once again, how beautiful,Pollye! So glad you got a few days at home. Echinacea!!! My family uses that every time we start feeling sick. (it's kind of a family joke with the kids. They know if they tell me they're not feeling well I'll ask them if they've taken their echinacea and vitamin C. Santa's been known to put a bottle of it in their stockings even)Have you ever used the crown plant? If so, what part, and what do you do with it - brew a tea? How exciting!..lol i am sooo easily thrilled and amused