Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Determination of Birds

Birds have got to be the most determined species on my front porch. If you recall I spoke some time back about the nest building going on right where I walk in the door. The ledge was the place of choice for the birds to build. I would rake the nest off and next week when I would get home I would have to rake it off again, Not to mention the birds diving at me each time I went out side.

I am assumming they knew I would tear down their nest if they continued in the same spot so they moved down the porch (away from the door) and built on a board with no ledge. Under the eve of the roof but where the droppings will fall on the ground. I left that one alone. Now there are baby birds. I captured these pictures in June 2008.








This is the nest built on the ledge that I tore down,Great construction.
















The nest on the left is the one built without a ledge. Glued to the side of a board under the eve of the roof.




WALA...THERE IS A BIRD ALREADY!!!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Man alive! And we think we work hard! Can you imagine rebuilding your house and having a few babies or six in the matter of a month or less? I totally understand you shooshing them off your ledge (I've recently taken to adding little decorations to my fence so they won't perch there and let loose so to speak), but am glad they found a place to make house. one day I really hope I get to visit your place,Pollye. It looks like just the kind of place I love best - a place to put my feet up, sit back and enjoy the wonders of the surroundings and people.

Pollye said...

Kristy~ I would love for you to come visit me. You have a standing invitation.

Author said...

Congrats on 1 year smoke free!

Birds ARE persistant. We had a bird hollow through the siding on our house to make a nest. We booted it out, covered the hole, and the bird did it again! We filled it in better this time, and that bird is STILL out there!