Friday, June 27, 2008

The Hundred Dollar Tooth Brush

For a brushing experience like no other


Two weeks ago she lost a bridge. We made the trip back to the Dentist to get it cemented back in. One week later she lost a crown. We go back to the Dentist and he says " Ms. Gloria, what I recommend for you today is to get a new toothbrush."



Memory recall is the reason I am staying with this 80 year old woman. So her first reaction was to have him tell me.



After listening to him explain how age has made her teeth weaker and brittle and because she is not doing a good job of brushing she needs to get the new sonic toothbrush, use it twice a day and and set an appointment to get a new bridge made that the crown will be added to. Just take the crown back with us and bring it back next time. He is not sure if we will use it or not.
In the mean time get the toothbrush and start using it. "They are not expensive and you can get them anywhere but it must be this kind." With that he gives us a brochure and sends us into the office for the Lady to schedule an appointment for 2 and1/2 hours of his time. Making sure that he will have all of that time to devote only to Ms. Gloria.



After looking at the computer screen for a long while the Lady comes up with a date that is okay for us and the Dentist. Then proceeds to print out an estimate of what will be done and the charges. Treatment Plan Total $3,720.00.






As we are leaving the office I am thinking to myself that she didn't even know why we were coming to the Dentist an hour ago. That missing tooth was not hindering her eating at all. I better check with her daughter before we go spending all this money on weak and brittle teeth of an 80 year old.


After notifying the daughter and her saying to continue with the doctors plans, I make a trip to find the not expensive toothbrush. After trying Target, Wal-Mart and Wal-greens with no luck, I ask the sales lady where she recommends I look for this special toothbrush. There are two drug stores in the Park Cities area of Dallas and she said either would probably have it. Sure enough, there was one on the shelf. $103.00. with tax $112.00. With brush in hand I return to un-package it and show her how to use it.






The packaging was a night mare to get into. After using scissors and knife I had it open. It was rather easy to set up and not very loud once turned on. It gently increases power over the first twelve uses and has a two minute timer to ensure recommended brushing time.


As I handed it to her and showed her where to push the button to turn it on, I got the toothpaste and spread it across the brush. " Stick it into your mouth and push the button and gently and slowly move it over your back teeth." She put it into her mouth pushed the button and jumped, pulled it out, tooth paste goes all over and she looks at me like she has been shot. "I'm not going to do that, it hurts." was her reaction.
Trying not to laugh I took the brush said "Show me you front teeth." As I touched the brush to her front teeth she pulled back and covered her mouth with her hand. By now I cannot control my laughter. The timer has gone off on the brush and it will not come back on. As we wait for the timer to reset, I gently explain how to use the brush again. Try using it just like a regular brush.



Finally I say, "Sit down and let me brush your teeth." With both hands covering her mouth she sit down on the commode and looks at me with frightened eyes. " I promise, this will not hurt. You just need to hold it in one place and let it do the brushing and slowly move it around." "Huh uh" was the only sound behind the covered mouth.
By this time, I am wishing someone was getting this on tape as I am sure we could cash in on the big prize for Funniest Home Videos and I am just about to pee my pants from trying not to laugh. "Let's take a break and try this later. Here, just use your regular tooth brush and let me brush your teeth." Finally she agreed to move her hands and let me do the brushing.
After we finished and she rinsed I asked could we try one more time just so she will know that it does not hurt to have the sonic brush in your mouth. I turned the brush on and touched it to her front tooth, "not so bad huh?" Then I slid it around the side of her teeth. "See, it does all the work." "Open wide so I can get the top teeth, I'm almost done." as I pulled the brush out of her mouth she let out a sigh of relief as if I had been holding a gun.



We moved to the breakfast room and she started eating and looking at the paper. "How often am I supposed to use that thing?" she asked. "Twice a day is what he said." I replied. "Not on your life." she said as she raised the paper back in front of her face.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Lol....great, Pollye. I literally did laugh out loud. Poor Ms Gloria. it DOES seem kind of mean to make her go through that. Lucky she has you to be so patient with her and to look out for her well being, both personally and financially.

Thank you so much for your open-heartedness. Once I ever retire I'd like to do some longer trips than I do now. So let's hope we live so long, right?

Michelle said...

Hilarious! Poor thing shouldn't have to go through all that dental pain :(

Regarding finding other quit smoking related blogs. Do a search on http://blogsearch.google.com

That will search all blogs on blogger. You can try searching for "quit smoking" or something like that. You will have to wade through them to find good ones but they're there. Here's a start:

http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&q=quit+smoking

Author said...

Too funny! $100 toothbrush, wow ... I really can't imagine spending that much on a brush. You'll have to let me know how that thing works ... if you can ever get her to use it!